Bible Scripture: From Godliness To Godlessness

FROM GODLINESS TO GODLESSNESS

From Godliness To Godlessness

MEMORY VERSE: "Some people once had God's light. They experienced the heavenly gift and shared in the Holy Spirit. They experienced the goodness of God's word and the powers of the world to come. Yet, they have deserted Christmas. They are crucifying the Son of God again and public disgracing him. Therefore, they cannot be led a second time to God" Hebrew 6:4-6 (God's Word)

Hebrews  6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

One day, some 35 years ago, that Saturday evening while all members of my family were out, there was a power failure. I was upstairs. No sooner, the light went off, than the telephone in the middle floor sitting room rang. In the pitch darkness, I managed to find my way down stairs because I had been expecting a call. The previous rays of light before the power failure seemed locked up somewhere in my inner eyes, that seemed to have led me down stairs without stumbling on any of the obstacles on my path-chairs, stools, children playing toys e.t.c!

Probably because I could not move as fast as I would have, if the lights were on, the caller hanged up moments before I got to the phone.

As I tried to return upstairs in the darkness, I nearly missed one of the steps (languages) which could have ended in a bad fall. Using my hands to feel my way inside my sitting room and thence to my bedroom where I have always kept torchlight, I stumbled on one of the side stools and fell. Fortunately, in my involuntary summersault, I landed safely on the bed and thus escaped any injury.

After recovering from the slight shock occasioned by the unexpected fall, I managed to reach for my torchlight below my pillow that was virtually before my nose! However it took more time to lay hand on it because there was no light.

Two things occurred to me after reviewing what had just happened.

1. I seemed to accept that I managed to get down stairs immediately there was power failure because the rays of the light had not completely deserted my brain and therefore my psyche led me safely through all the obstructions on my path.

2. I also seemed to accept that I fell on my return upstairs, because as the power failure continued, the rays of light in my psyche had completely reeded giving way to real pitch darkness. Since there was no longer even a spark of the glimpse in my inner eyes, there was bound to be a collision with obstacles and my eventual fall!

This is exactly what happens when a believer withdraws himself from the grace and presence of the Lord and falls victim of worldliness (1 Timothy 6:7-10, Galatians 4:8-9)

1 Timothy  6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Galatians  4:8 How be it then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

When a believer begins to slip, let us, in our small way pray for and where possible tell him/her the blunt bitter truth. Giving him any support or sympathy in any way I sinful (2nd Timothy 2:14-16).

2 Timothy  2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Bringing a fallen believer back is more difficult than winning an unbeliever.

Anoint of God, remain firm in your faith. Remain steadfast in your good works. Do not allow those already falling to draw you into their evil desires (Romans 13:12-14).

Romans  13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.  13:13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.
13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Always walk in spirit so that you may hear the whispering voice of the Lord warning and admonisishing you.



Your Comments please

Post a Comment

0 Comments